• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 chayote squash, cut into 1/2-inch strips
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ground black pepper to taste
• ½ teaspoon white sugar
• ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (Optional)
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add garlic, squash, salt, pepper, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir together and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add vinegar to the squash mixture and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, until the squash is slightly wilted, but still firm and crunchy. Taste, and add more salt or sugar if needed.